Wednesday, September 1, 2010

This Week's Goal

Taking a little from everything, here's my general eating plan for the week. Next I will fill in the blanks with recipes that hopefully stay a little closer to budget this month. I got a notice from my budget manager (mint.com) saying that this month I spent 25% more on groceries than average and it said: "you might want to look into that."  HA! After menu-planning, I'll have to get on that...

Applying the 5-6 meals a day idea, combined with a general decrease in meat/dairy products and refined sugar, this is what I'll be trying to do:

Breakfast: 1 whole grain and 1 protein: for me, this is almost always an english muffin toasted with 2 TBS of peanut butter. Admittedly, I have not yet switched over to all-natural peanut butter. God help me, I LOVE Jiffy.  But I have been trying to learn to like oatmeal and cream of wheat. The "Eat Clean Diet" Lady recommends scrambled egg whites when she eats oatmeal. I gag at the thought, so will be skipping that.

Snack 1: A protein and a fruit: My friend Joy has a recipe for an orange cream green smoothie that I am still modifying to my tastes- but it's basically a frozen banana, the inside of an orange, orange zest, spinach, water and ice. The combination of spinach and fruit = amino acids which = protein. you can find her recipe on www.veganjoy.blogspot.com. The other option will likely be yogurt and either granola or frozen berries. I am still researching the health benefits of cow's milk yogurt versus soy or coconut milk yogurt. For now, cow's milk is substantially cheaper.

Lunch: A veggie, a bread-type portion, and meat: I will probably consume meat at this meal- i figure that will give my body more time while I'm awake to digest it. My personal goal is that if I had yogurt for my snack then I'll forgo cheese at this meal, just to make sure I'm not getting too much dairy in a day.

Snack 2: fruit and protein: this will likely be any piece of fruit with a scant handful of nuts. if i didn't eat peanut butter for breakfast, then i might opt for an apple with peanut butter. but i figure i had better limit my PB consumption because 1) I would eat it constantly if allowed and 2) I'm eating the sugary, trans-fatty kind.

Dinner: Veggies, starch (bread, pasta, etc.) and protein: I am going to try to generally make this meal vegetarian, focusing heavily on beans rather than meat for protein. That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but something to work towards. I figure I can make my  meat-y meals ahead (on Saturdays) and enjoy them at lunch throughout the week and focus on getting lots of veggies and very lean proteins in at dinner.

The one thing I really have to be mindful of is my portions. I'm eating more often during the day, but sometimes my portion sizes are the same as if I wasn't eating snacks. I'm trying to mentally shift my thinking to say, "I only need to eat enough to get me through the next 2-3 hours, not the next 4-5 hours." And if I'm not hungry in 2-3 hours, I probably ate too much at the previous meal. This is super hard.

I feel the need to pat myself on the back because I have been soda-free since July 29th. It feels like it has been a WHOLE lot longer than one month and it has been a SERIOUS battle not to drink one, especially recently when we've had some pretty hard days. And unlike our male counterparts, I have NOT lost 10 pounds just by doing this (not any pounds, actually) so I'm trying to remain motivated other ways, like reminding myself that there is nothing nutritionally beneficial to soda (diet or regular) and that it's NOT good for me.... I seriously need an AA group for soda consumption.

More to follow once this week's plan is in place.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel, loving reading your blog! I am similarly trying to work towards healthier meals for us. On the soda front: I have been pretty happy putting a splash of lemonade (esp peach lemonade) or juice in a glass of sparkling water. Also, Hi-ball waters are awesome - 10 cals, no sugar, caffeine, and nothing artificial!

    I do a fruit and veggie smoothie for z and I almost every morning: frozen fruit (usually mango, or peaches) some fresh fruit (usually banana and/or strawberries), frozen sweet potato chunks, frozen butternut squash chunks, frozen spinach, frozen green beans, organic yogurt, and OJ. Yummy and lots of great vitamins! I use just a small bit of each fruit and veg so they last us for a while too.

    Tonight I used premade Indian madras lentils to make veggie tacos...they were ok.

    And last....quinoa! a great grain with fiber AND protein and you can use it as a breakfast grain or a side dish, or in place of pasta....it is one of my favs for sure.

    Thanks for sharing your journey and your tips....sorry to be so wordy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! No apologies necessary- I love the ideas! I'll have to stock up on some of the frozen goodies you've got going on in your smoothie. I've been trying to remember to get more sweet potatoes in for sure!

    I tried a honey-harvest quinoa recipe for breakfast a while ago- it sounded wonderful, with apple bites, craisins and I think a tiny bit of sweetener. None of us liked it- I don't know if it just wasn't sweet enough for our taste or if the texture was too new. But I'd love any recipes you have- it is a terrific grain that I just need to keep trying and adjusting to the texture (sometimes this takes me a while).

    I'll also have to try the sparkling water trick- so much of my addiction is really enjoying a cold, bubbly beverage, and I love lemonade. Thanks for the ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete