Saturday, September 4, 2010

Oh, It's Official...

My jeans don't fit. That's what I get from a summer of fun and (less than) occasional fast-food trips... So this week's menu will be somewhat less exciting. Hopefully it will result in a loss of 5 pounds so at least I can button them up... Oi.

For me-
Breakfast: either 1/2 an apple & 1/2 a grilled chicken breast or orange cream green smoothie (see entry below for recipe)

Snack 1: 1/2 cucumber (no dipping sauce, I'm afraid), 1/2 sweet potato (will likely make baked fries, with Pam instead of oil) and 1/2 chicken breast

Lunch: Handful of spinach or grilled asparagus, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 chicken breast or shrimp

Snack 2: 1/2 apple, tomato slices (with a little salt) and 1/2 chicken breast or roasted turkey breast

Dinner: I can't follow the "Eat Clean Diet" exactly and still feed my family. So I'm gonna try these recipes:
Mexican Rice & Beans (from the Eat Clean Diet cookbook)
Eggplant Parmesan (made with as little cheese as possible)
Spaghetti & Beans (from Rachel Ray- you can find on the foodnetwork website- I will substitute fried seitan for pancetta)

For my eggplant parmesan, here's how I make it:
2 small to medium sized eggplants, sliced into 1/4inch slices (no need to peel)
Handful of fresh basil
Marinara sauce- I haven't measured this out- maybe 1-2 C.
8oz part-skim mozzarella
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
Fresh spinach- maybe 2-3 c.

Preheat 450*. Pat the sliced eggplant dry with a paper towel. Season with a little salt and pepper. Mix up some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on a plate. Smash each eggplant slice in the mixture on both sides. You don't need eggs or anything else- the bread crumbs should stick pretty well. Lay each slice flat on a sprayed baking sheet. Bake the eggplant slices at 450* for about 25 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden brown. (I do this rather than frying the eggplant because it saves a ton of calories and still gives a pretty decent texture.)

Once the eggplant slices are done, spray down a large baking dish (or two small ones, if you want to save one to cook later in the week). Put a big of sauce at the bottom, lay down slices to cover the bottom. Top with a little bit of cheese, all the spinach, more sauce, then the next layer of eggplant. Top with the basil,  sauce and cheese. Bake in 350 or 375 degree oven until heated through and the cheese has turned golden brown and bubbly- probably 20 minutes or so.

I'll try to post the Mexican Rice & Beans recipe later this week. This recipe was surprisingly fabulous. Spicy and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment