Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pronto Taco Bake

As my sister, Sarah (who gave me this recipe) says, "It's fast, easy and surprisingly yummy!"

1lb ground beef (i use turkey)
1 can drained corn
1/2 c. water
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can tomato sauce
1 pkg corn muffin mix (I like to use 2- see below)
1/2 c. green onions
1/3 c. part-skim mozzarella shredded
 **be sure you have the egg and oil that the cornbread mix needs

Preheat oven to 400*. In skillet, brown and drain meat. Stir in taco seasoning, water, corn, tomato sauce. Pour into greased 12X7 baking dish. In a separate bowl, prepare the corn bread according to the package directions. Add the green onions. Spoon the muffin mix along the outer edges of the baking dish. (I like to use 2 boxes of corn bread so I can spoon it over the entire baking dish- because I love me some cornbread.) Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Top it with cheese and bake for another 2-3 minutes more.

If you don't add extra cornbread and use lean ground beef:
Yields 6 servings
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
Calories: 440
Fat 17.7 grams

1 comment:

  1. We are eating it tonight, YUMMY!! My husband had two servings and there is plenty for him for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!
    Janet (A. Wible's friend in Chicago)

    ReplyDelete