Thursday, October 21, 2010

Veggies, With A Side of Veggies Please

I think I am somehow going to have to figure out how to grow my own vegetables next summer. Let it be known now that my thumb is actually black. My dear friend Kristen planted lambs ear in my backyard garden and assured me it was impossible to kill. Well, it took 3 years, but I have managed to do the impossible. It is 100% dead- and that's with me watering the garden and attempting (however slightly) to maintain it. Sigh.

I have found that eating vegetarian dinners on a regular (4-5 times/week) basis has actually been much easier than I anticipated. It took a few weeks to get into the groove. But I will say that it hasn't improved my budget- I haven't actually done a cost comparison (because I'm too lazy) but the amount of vegetables it takes seems to cost about the same as the meat I'm replacing. Bell peppers are ridiculously expensive at at least $1.25/each (and that's extremely cheap compared to the regular grocery store)- portobello mushrooms are about the same. We easily go through 12 bell peppers and 8 onions a week. I roast 'em together with a bunch of carrots and toss it in to just about every recipe I can think of (and they are DIVINE).

But I'm cheap, dammit, and need to figure out ways to cut down the grocery bill. So I may have to figure out how to find the discipline to actually tend a garden next summer. Like, really, not just theoretically.

Here's a veggie recipe I'm trying this week:

Veggie Enchiladas (Green Chile)
3 bell peppers
3 onions
3 carrots
1-2 zucchini
2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach or 1/2 6oz pkg frozen
2-3 oz goat cheese
1/2 c. grated cheddar (reduced fat is better)
12-18 corn tortillas
1 can hatch green chile sauce + extra fresh green chile
OR 1-2 cans Hatch red chile sauce, if you prefer

Slice bell peppers, onions and carrots. Toss together on a cookie sheet with 2 TBS oil. Roast at 425* for about an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Cook until caramelized and gorgeous. Set aside. Dice zucchini into small bites. Brown in a skillet with 1TBS olive oil. Set aside.

In a 9X12 baking dish, spray with cooking spray, spread tiny amount of chile sauce and lay down first 4-6 corn tortillas. Sprinkle 1/2 the goat cheese and all of the zucchini and spinach. Spread a bit more sauce and top with next layer of corn tortillas. Sprinkle the rest of the goat cheese, all of the bell peppers/onions/carrots. Top with almost all the sauce, reserving enough to cover the final layer of tortillas. Layer the remaining tortillas, then the remaining sauce, and top with the cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350* for 20-30 minutes. It should be hot throughout and the cheese should be brown and bubbly on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment