Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Journey To... Where, Exactly?

I nearly started this blog out with a sentence in reference to this journey of food discovery, when it occurred to me, I'm not actually GOING anywhere. And while I view spirituality as being a journey of discovery without really having much of a tangible destination, I at least had to stop and ask, is that what this is, too? I'm so goal-oriented in most things, it sure would be nice to think of changing my family's diet as something more of an adventure to be enjoyed, rather than a mark I'm not quite hitting...

I was feeling a little down the other day because our actual meals haven't exactly been what I had planned- particularly in the area of sugar-consumption. (I'm afraid homemade lattes are quickly replacing my mid-morning soda fix. And blessings on the Eat-Clean Diet Lady, but I'm just not to the no-sugar place yet, as is evidenced by my just-too-tight pants...) But then I started thinking back to what we had been eating lately- and I realized that nearly all of our dinners the last 3 weeks have been vegetarian. And hey, coming from a rather carnivorous, that's not something to sneeze at. (Wait, is that how that expression goes?)

So I've decided to let myself off the hook a bit and continue with our destination-less journey of discovering good, healthy food. With that in mind, I'm posting a recipe from a delightful dinner I made last weekend for my sister and my vegetarian/vegan friends. It was 100% vegan, and lacked absolutely nothing. Don't believe me? Try it!

Grilled Portobello Sandwiches and Green (Ridiculously Good) Salad
for 4 people

For the Sandwiches:
4 large portobello caps
2-3 bell peppers, roasted (jarred or roast ahead of time- any color)
2 yellow onions, caramelized (you can either roast these with the bell peppers, or if using jarred bells, cook these in a skilled with olive oil until brown and oozey.)
4 roma tomatoes (you can either roast them on a cookie sheet to make them sweet, serve them raw or use sundried tomatoes)
4 green chiles, diced or just sliced in half, and seeds removed
1 large foccacia bread (buy high quality bread, and skip the baked-in cheese- you won't miss it)

Preheat your grill. Brush both sides of the portobello mushrooms with olive oil, salt & pepper. Grill mushrooms for approx. 10-13 minutes, turning once. (Alternatively, if you prefer, you can slice the mushrooms into long slices and cook them in a skillet- the sandwich will look beautiful either way.) If your bell peppers and onions are not already hot, warm them in the microwave just before mushrooms are done. Slice the foccacia into four portions, and slice open. Layer each sandwich with one portobello, bell peppers, onions, 1 tomato and green chile. Serve with salad on the side.

For The Salad:
4 C. favorite lettuce (I prefer plain baby spinach)
2 granny smith apples, diced
1 C. walnuts (I cook about 2 c. walnuts in 1/3c. pure maple syrup in a skillet over med heat, stirring until the syrup has caramelized into utter deliciousness)

For the Dressing:
1 C. olive oil
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
1/2 C. sugar
1 garlic clove
1 small package fresh basil (about 1/3c.)

In a small food processor, chop up the garlic and basil. Add the other ingredients and blend well. Store in a container that has a tight lid- as it sits in the fridge, it separates, so you'll need to shake well. Will last about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment