Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mmmmmm.... Sooouuup -Joey Tribiani

I'm not sure at what age it becomes acceptable to adore soup... but I'm pretty sure this launches me into the middle-aged category somehow. But who cares, because I really do like soup. The nostalgia of hot soup on a cold day is enough to keep me coming back for seconds.

I mentioned in a FB post that I'm fairly certain GOD makes Creamy Green Chile Soup on cold days- that endorsement seemed enough for some of you to want the recipe. So here it is- it comes from my sister Anna's kitchen. Other soups that I mentioned are listed in the side bar of recipes- I think the Butternut Squash/Pear Bisque is outstanding, so definitely give that one a try this fall! Because of the calories, I usually reserve the GC one for special occasions- it has become our Christmas Eve tradition.

You'll need:
1 stick of butter (real butter is better than margarine, but you could use margarine if you want)
3/4 C. flour
2 C. (fat free) half & half: (fat free works perfectly and it saves a few calories)
        or you can use 2C whole milk (skim milk will probably not work but 2% will likely be fine)
3 C. chicken broth
2 C. cooked, chopped chicken (rotisserie chicken works exceptionally well!!)
2 C. green chile
1 tsp. garlic powder (or to taste)
salt & pepper, to taste
Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and warm, buttered tortillas

In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes. The roux will get a nice golden brown. As you continue whisking, slowly add the chicken broth. Once this is fully incorporated, add the half & half (or milk) and continue stirring as you bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add in the green chile, chicken and seasoning. Once the chicken is heated through, the soup is done. The taste only develops as it sits, so be sure you make enough for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment