Monday, August 16, 2010

Vegan? Vegetarian? Sugar-free? Sucralose Is The Enemy?

Who can tell anymore just exactly what the best dietary guidelines are. I went looking for a cookbook at Barnes & Noble the other day and there were (literally) hundreds of "diet" books, in one form or another. Honest to God, it is EXHAUSTING to assimilate all the information there is about food and somehow formulate it into an educated decision about what to cook for dinner.  And yet, I don't feel like I can ignore all of this "great" information and still call myself a responsible adult and parent.

My husband and I both come from, shall we say, "non-dainty" stock. We both eat when we're stressed, anxious, bored or if given the option. I managed to lose 40 pounds after Baby #2 and have only put on about 8 of those after 3 years. My husband also lost 40 pounds, but has unfortunately put most of that back on. We have two very healthy, wirey boys who are active and intelligent. While I don't worry at this point about childhood obesity, given that you could play their ribcages like guitar strings, I do worry about setting them up with good eating habits that will go with them throughout the rest of their lives. So it doesn't feel like a luxury for me to worry about all of these different dietary concerns when my husband (who is genetically predispositioned towards diabetes and heart issues) desperately needs to curb his anxiety-food relationship and I have two eager young minds who will either learn to reach for a bag of chips when they are hungry or a bag of carrots- and who will either learn that food will make them feel better or that there are other ways to cope with stress.

So I'm neck-deep in food-related information. I have articles, books, cookbooks, blogs and friends- all of which (or whom) contain valuable information about the best way to feed ourselves. The conclusion? It is absolutely impossible to adhere to all of these great ideas simultaneously. I feel like I'm choosing my own religion, picking this idea from the Eat Clean Diet and removing that food as suggested by my lovely vegan friend. Will this mish-mash of food-dogma lead to a healthier body, or am I just making myself crazy for no reason?

2 comments:

  1. I feel you Rachael -- I'm like this with food, cleaning products, cosmetics, etc... It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but it would seem that 'everything in moderation', and 'just do your best' apply here as well. :) I think that it's great that you're thinking about this stuff, and I know that the boys (& James) will appreciate it one day, if not already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Simone! It's a grand experiment- we'll just have to see how it goes! :) I hope you are doing well in Belgium! What's new there?! I miss seeing your parents at church- will you tell them hi for me?

    ReplyDelete