Monday, September 21, 2009

The Inaugural Post

My beautiful sisters and I have started a 12 week challenge of diet and exercise. We're all on different programs, with different goals, but the camaraderie is nice. To help, I am putting together weekly menus, complete with recipes, weekly grocery lists and suggested prep ideas to make dinner-time during the week quicker and easier. I think it will take me another week to actually get all the extra stuff in here, but for now, here is this week's menu:


WEEK 1 MENU
Green Chile Stew
Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches
Sauteed Shrimp with Garlic & Green Onion
Chicken Stuffed with Zucchini & Goat Cheese
Cauliflower-crust Pizza
Monte Cristo Sandwiches


GROCERY LIST
MEAT-
8oz pork stew meat
Frozen shrimp (I prefer shelled, tail-on, raw)
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (just buy a big bag- you'll use 'em)
Cold cuts: turkey & ham- enough for however many sammies you want
Pizza toppings- I suggest staying away from pepperoni- but turkey pepp is alright. I made my pizza with chicken. 


VEGGIES
Fresh spinach (just buy a big box and use it for both sandwiches, pizza topping & salads for lunch)
Pre-sliced mushrooms for the pizza (they cost the same and save you time)
1 yellow onion (for zucc stuffed chicken)
1 purple onion (to carmelize for pizza, if you want)
Zucchini- at least 1LB, (though I suggest getting a few more to make zucchini chips as a side dish to either of the sandwiches)
Asparagus- to roast with the shrimp
1 large bag of frozen cauliflower (I doubled this recipe so I'd have leftover pizza for lunch)
1 small bundle green onions
4 large portobello mushroom caps
Sun-dried tomatos (not oil-packed)
1 large baking potato (though I would double the stew recipe for leftovers and buy 2 of everything)
Garlic (can do minced in a jar, if you dare. I'm not a big fan, but it does save chopping time.)


DAIRY
1/4 c. crumbled gorgonzola
4oz goat cheese
Good parmesan cheese (just good to keep on hand- use sparingly b/c of the hi fat)
1-2 C. mozzarella, plus however much you want for pizza topping
Whatever kind of cheese you want on your monte cristo. swiss is the typical. Look for part-skim of anything to help with calories. 
Eggs- have plenty around
I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Spray (this works well for certain things & keeps calories down)


OTHER
Bread for monte cristo sandwiches- I like Sara Lee Whole Wheat 45 Calorie bread
1 qt. low-sodium, fat free chicken stock (or double)
1.5 c. stewed tomatoes (try no salt added) for stew
copious amounts of green chile, to taste


ALWAYS HAVE ON HAND
Olive oil
Spices
Flour
Red Chile Powder
Bread Crumbs

No comments:

Post a Comment